Thursday, April 09, 2009

Story of a refugee

These days I am reading Ramachandra Guha's India after Gandhi. The book is a perfect read during a time when country is preparing for elections. The book is a story of India's democracy and how it came to its fruition, right from partition to the creation of our consitution to the first elections to the present Great Indian Tamasha that our elections have become. As I was reading a chapter on refugees who came to India from present day Pakistan, it reminded me of the story of a refugee that I knew very well, my Nanajee (Grandfather).

My Nanajee was a shop-owner in a small village in the Rawalpindi district of West Punjab (present day Pakistan). These were the times when Hindus, Sikhs and Muslims were living in harmony and infact inter-religious marriages between Hindus and Sikhs were very common. My Nanajee was a Hindu and he married my Nanima who was a Sikh. The story about their marriage goes like this. One day my Nanima's father came home from a marriage and told my Nanima's mother that he has arranged my Nanima's marriage during the wedding. When my Nanima's mother asked him, who the boy was, he replied "I didn't see him, only saw his back, he was wearing a turban and the turban looked very good" (Punjabi Hindus also used to wear turban during those times although different in style from Sikhs, something like Balraj Sahini wore in the movie Waqt). My Nanima's mother was horrified at hearing this but somehow went along. My Nanajee and Nanima got married and my Nanima still hadn't seen the man whom she had married as she was in a ghoonght all this time.

We would often ask Nanajee about their Honeymoon and he would always tell the same story to the amusement of all kids. He went to the room where Nanima was sitting, picked her up and took her to the rooftop. As he put her down on the mat on the rooftop, he gave her a jar of honey and said, "Ek reeya tuhada honey and uhh reeya moon, tusi manao honeymoon tee main chala sone" (Here's your honey and that's your moon, you celebrate honeymoon and I am going to bed)

My Nanima was one of the sweetest person and never asked my Nanajee for anything in her life but so was his love for her that he decided that all his sons and daughters will grow up as Sikhs. This was his gift to my Nanima for all the love and joy she had given him (even though the conventional wisdom of that time suggested that children took the religion of their father). If this is not the greatest love story then what is.

Then 1947 happened and suddenly Hindus and Sikhs from Western Punjab (and Muslims from Eastern Punjab) were told to leave their lives behind and go to the other side of the border.

(pic courtsey: http://www.newyorker.com)

My Nanajee like most people didn't believe that partition would succeed. How can one day someone draw an invisible line and call it a border. But things were getting worse day by day, thousands of people were being butchered on both side of the border. My Nanajee decided to send Nanima and their kids to my Nanima's brother place in India. He told her that he will stay back and if things improve will call them back. Nanima moved to India with the kids and as we know things didn't improve, infact got worse day by day. For one month there was no trace of my Nanajee and everyone thought that they may never see him again except my Nanima who always knew that he will make it. And he did. But when he came back, he was in a pretty bad shape and didn't talk to anyone including my Nanima for atleast a month. Its obvious that he saw some things during partition that are better not talked about. With time physical and emotional scars healed up and he again worked hard to make a life for himself and his children.

My Nanima passed away before my Mom got married so no one from my Dad's side ever saw her. But Nanajee made sure that his grandchildren will never forget the love of his life. Whenever we would visit him, we would follow the same ritual every evening after dinner. All the grandchildren would go and sit on the floor in my Nanajee's room. He would first tell all of us a joke in Punjabi, some of which are legendary in our family, then he would tell a sakhi (story) from the life of Guru Nanak and finally end the katha-session (story-session) by telling us a story (or an anecdote) about our Nanima. He kept my Nanima alive through his stories, so much so that sometimes I feel that I know my Nanima better than my Nanajee. He was truly a remarkable man in every sense. His story is a story of one of the many millions refugees who left their lives on the other side of the border to create a new life on this side of the border.

He passed away more than a decade ago but his sense of humor, his love for his wife and kids will always remain with me as an inspiration.

19 Comments:

Blogger MoonStruck Tempest said...

Okay...this has to be probably one of the most touching stories I have heard in a long time. After I finished reading it, I realize it is more than just a story. It's a life lesson that all of us could learn something from.

Thank you for posting this. It makes a great read :)

9:13 AM  
Blogger Sum said...

Very touching..... and nicely written.....

10:56 AM  
Blogger sid said...

The way you kept me interested till the very end was very good. How sweet, the people used to be. I wish, I could achieve half as much as our ancestors did in those circumstances.

11:00 AM  
Blogger Chandu said...

Loved this post Ricky bhai. You are right when u said "inspirational". Reminds of the tales described in "Train to Pakistan". what a lovable grandpa u had

8:09 PM  
Blogger Chandu said...

BTW saw this new TATA sky ad- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psxQFBtBOj8

9:21 AM  
Blogger Rain Girl said...

wow. so, so sweet... :)

9:59 PM  
Anonymous red said...

true love story.Our life would also be time stuck at partition.

1:20 AM  
Blogger Anks said...

wow... no other words for this one...

4:52 AM  
Blogger Pinks said...

hey ricky dats a gud one...very nice...btw chk out my short story on my blog..pls give ur honest comments...i will be really glad..bye tc

11:02 PM  
Anonymous Marlee said...

Hey this was a nice read esp since I'm here after such a long time...

Take care

5:17 AM  
Blogger Mrinalini said...

am almost goin to shed a few tears in my workstation and your story would be the reason :')
touching..and very very beautiful..

10:53 PM  
Blogger Corinne Rodrigues said...

Beautiful - thank you for sharing.
Corinne

5:33 AM  
Anonymous preeti.prasad said...

we all think that we can define love, but the truth is we just can not...its deep yet simple..but still can not be explained.. stories like this make us realize that love is not 'give' and 'take' but
'give' and 'receive'. kuch kisse aise bhi hote hain, jo hamesha yaad rehe jaayenge..

12:25 PM  
Blogger Anjali said...

its one of those stories which one wouldn't mind listening to over and over again :) absolutely lovely!

11:59 PM  
Blogger Corinne Rodrigues said...

Hi - Thanks for stopping by on my blog Ricky - looking forward to reading more on yours!
C

3:08 AM  
Blogger Khamakha said...

tht almost brought tears to my eyes. beautiful indeed:) thanks for sharing ricky.

4:30 AM  
Blogger Think.......... said...

wow, this is one of the coolest love stories, and i used to think this used to happen only in movies :)

I'm sure your nanaji was a great man and ur nani the luckiest lady :)

Very well writeen!!!!!!!

2:47 PM  
Blogger Riddhi said...

I love this story of your grandparents, Ricky. It made my month! I should come to your blog more often, but you definitely don't write as often as you should anymore! (neither do I, for that matter)

10:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

rykMMhe , [url=http://www.xvideos.com/video1851220/this_thing_stuffs_her_mouth]Asian girly fucked from the ass[/url] , sBpLqByFn, Spouse unfaithful with fitnesscoach , LhobLKYsc, http://www.xvideos.com/video1851417/cv3115 Cumshot by Nubia , DqwdAVNak. tVAurVrnQO , [url=http://www.xvideos.com/video1907655/sun1187781770]Beautiful Blonde Banged Tough[/url] , vdwVPlc, Alicia Rhodes wishes the complete team , IwZTnIe, http://www.xvideos.com/video1851621/tell_me_your_desires_3 I would like the idea heavy , jmuLJaq.

12:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home