Wednesday, October 03, 2007

Will you marry me…errr…again??

My Chachu is the most romantic person that I have ever met. I don’t remember the days when he married my Chachi but kisse of those days still lingers in our family talks. They had an arranged marriage but my Chachu being the guy he is/was decided that he would not marry the girl without knowing more about her (apart from looking at the picture taken at some photo studio). So, he did what most girls will consider creepy…lol. My Chachi was the punjaban from Jalandhar and Chachu was UP ke bhaiye-types. So, he told his parents that he is going on a trip for work. Instead, he took his best buddy to Jalandhar and they both would stand behind the tree near Chachi’s house and watch her. There are some unconfirmed reports that he met Chachi in that trip but Chachi have never confirmed the reports and calls it the figment of Chachu’s imagination…lol. Anyways, to cut the long story short, he married my beautiful Chachi but made sure my grandparents never came to know about the trip.

Few days back I was talking to Chachi and we were remembering those joint family days. My Dad being in Army was away in Kashmir and so we lived in a joint family with cousins, uncles, grandparents. Those were fun days as we had so many cousins to play with all the time. I asked Chachi, what she remembered about me (narcissist me) when she got married. She told me how when she got married and made lunch for the first time, she asked me, “Ricky, how is the food?” and I said, “Aap toh itni choti choti rotiyan banate ho, mere mummy toh itne bade bade banate hain” (You make such small small rotis while my Mom makes big big rotis). I was surprised that she never forgot my review of her first roti in our house. I think one reason I could have said that was because I was very close to Chachu and suddenly with Chachi around all his attention diverted towards her. He used to smuggle her every night while we would be playing, to go to movies, restaurants, shopping etc etc. Anyways, with time I became very close to Chachi too esp. after Chachu moved to US. After 6 years of struggle, he moved Chachi and cousins to US but by then Chachi had become my confidant.

This is the 25th year of my Chachu-Chachi’s anniversary and to celebrate the day, my Chachu decided to re-marry my Chachi, once again. So, all our close relatives (incl. my Pa) in US, India came to US last week. It was an elaborate marriage with 7 days of function, right from Mehndi night to Baarat to Doli, all the functions that they couldn’t enjoy the first time because either it was their first marriage…duh or we couldn’t afford at that time as a middle class family. Mom couldn’t come because she recently had an operation and me and my brother couldn’t join either because of some visa issues. I am now waiting for Chachi to come to Canada and cook some parathas for me and believe me, this time my review will be errrr…the same as she still makes chote chote parathe compared to Mom’s wade wade aloo de parathe…lol


Here’s wishing the couple many such marriages to come with themselves as dulha dulhan of course.

P.S: Recently, when I joked with Chachu about why he is re-marrying he said, “Ab tum bacche toh kuch kar nahin rahee, toh mujhe laga main hee shuravat kar doon phirse”…lol

24 Comments:

Blogger hope said...

aahaa kya title hai :P

zara padne do... dont disturb !!

10:33 PM  
Blogger hope said...

wow!!

congratulations and celebrations!! chachu n chachi..

baar baar din ye aaye and may u get loads of choti choti roti to eat :P

beautiful *smiles*

11:03 PM  
Blogger Reema said...

arey waah! Ricky jee, iv been through alll ur posts im sure n i must say this is definately going down as one of my absolute favourites!!

omg, getting remarried to the same person.. it is all so adorable! i wish u both wuld've gone, then we'd have gotten to hear more detsils naa :) i hope n pray that ur chachu n chachi lead a fairytale life always! :D

but really.. hadh hai, zarra sharam karo! ab toh shaadi ka kuch scene karo!!

1:43 AM  
Blogger B said...

awwww he is funny with the last line.. and soooo cute they really did the whole 7 day thing... :) menhdi n all... wud b so cool :D

6:47 AM  
Blogger Fuzzylogic said...

Aww..aren't they the cutest couple:)Here's wishing them many more such wonderful times and err..marriages too:)So what have you thought about the chachu's advice?;)

8:22 AM  
Blogger The Bhandari's said...

aww so sweet :)
" He used to smuggle her every night while we would be playing, to go to movies, restaurants, shopping etc etc. "
smiles, let your time comes and we'll see how u smmugle ur wife from ur niece and nephews :)
convey our wishes to the couple too
preeti and sachin

9:29 AM  
Blogger Marlee said...

Ricky this post is so sweet...After reading it, I went Aw...

Congrats to Chachu n Chachi!!! Me sitting here with a dreamy smile thinking abt 25yrs of marriage n remarriage

:)

5:15 PM  
Blogger Anks said...

sweet post.... and many many congratulations to ur chachi and chachu!

11:21 PM  
Blogger Moonie said...

aaaaawwww sooo sweet !! believe me my eyes had a bit of tears reading your post, oh no, not sad but so touched by the love of your chacha-chachi and I remembered my parent's anniversary long time back ! [ I wonder does such emotions still exist in todays world?! ]
Actually such a tradition exists in south india when a man reaches around 60years (100 moons) shashtitapurti is celebrated and husband and wife go through a religious function very same as a marriage. My parents also did it and I still remember my mom's shy/embarrassed laughter all through the ceremony.

11:31 PM  
Blogger Moonie said...

** oops its 1000 moons I guess in Shashtipurti

11:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

lolz... :D ur chachu so right! u cuming to india to find a vadhu kya.. :P

11:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

:)
That is so awesomely sweet ...
You know people like your Chacha make life so interesting ...
I am glad you had such an influence in ur life.
~Aindrila

4:48 AM  
Blogger Jyoti said...

oh oh! kya baat hai...
Taan fer tusi kado vadha rahe es viah de functions nu apne vaste ! hehe

Na samajh aaye, then ask your CHACHI...!

10:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice reading this post & many many congrats to your chachu & chachi!

1:07 AM  
Blogger Fuzzylogic said...

Hop over to my blog to collect a little surprise:)

12:47 PM  
Blogger rayshma said...

marrying d same person twice... hmm... interesting!
p.s.: dropped by from fuzzy's... liked wot i read, so this is to tell u "i was here!"

8:31 AM  
Blogger Reema said...

oay, mere toh geniune reasons hai.. wats ur excuse?! aapka new post overdue!! :p

1:58 AM  
Blogger Moonie said...

how about new post?? :D :)

1:05 AM  
Blogger Kishley (Dolly Sapra) said...

LOLS!!! Thats soooo sweet of your chahu ... 25 years jhelne ke baad bhi dubara shaadi karne ko tayyar ho gaye :D

jokes apart, may they live happily ever-after.. :D

7:20 AM  
Blogger fursat said...

hope - Thank You jee :-) I can't wait to meet the newly wed couple and review the rotis :P

reema - Isn't it adorable aur ek humko dekho, ek shaadi bhi nahin huee...lol. Thanks for your wishes :-)

Shaadi ka scene karoon?? Main koi SRK hoon kya ke **Lights, Camera, Action** :P

2:08 PM  
Blogger fursat said...

red soul - LOL !! Yea, it was pretty cool :D

fuzzylogic - They really are, aren't they :D Thank You for the wishes. Advice...hmmm...ummm...sochenge, dekhenge :P

the bhandari's - I am smart coz I won't live with my nephews and neices, only me and my wifey dearest :P Thank You for your wishes :-)

2:11 PM  
Blogger fursat said...

marlee - :D Thank You Thank you!! I think we have done enough talking about marriage today...lol

anks - Thanks Anks!!

moonie - I am glad my post touched you somewhere. I had heard and seen a documentary about the tradition you mentioned long time back. Its all so sweet and am glad you were a part of it :)

2:14 PM  
Blogger fursat said...

payal - Vadhu ??? Isn't vadhu same as Bahu?? I will tell you when we meet na :D

Aindrila - I agree, he is the life of our family :-)

jyoti - Jadhon he mannu koi kudi labh jayege, main vadha deyenga apne family tradition nu :P I am punjabi jee, so understood it :-)

kalyan - Thanks Kalyan !!

2:17 PM  
Blogger fursat said...

fuzzylogic - That was indeed a great surprise :D

rashmya - Thanks for visiting Rashmya!! Welcome to my blog!!

reema - Poora din internet aur TV ke saamne baithe rehte ho, what excuse :P

moonie - Done dana done done

kishley - I should ask this to my Chachi coz she is the jhelofy...lol.

Thanks for your wishes :-)

2:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home