Friday, December 15, 2006

Aurora It Is...

Northern Lights are a world phenomena that is catching up as the biggest tourist attraction where ever it is observed. It is basically a night glow which is observed during night and is usually seen in Canada, Alaska and most Scandinavian countries. One of the most common Northern light is Aurora. The scientific reasons for these lights are elaborate and anyone can read it online but for me it's a God way to tell us that HIS nights are as beautiful as days.

Recently, I read poems by Rumi, a 13th century Persian poet, and one of his poem was about the beauty of night and how most people miss it because they tend to sleep at that time. Here are few excerpts from that poem, which certainly can explain why so few people are able to see Northern Lights...

don't go to sleep this night,
one night is worth a hundred thousand soul,
the night is generous,
it can give you the gift of the full moon,
it can bless your soul with endless treasures,

even Mecca is adorned with Black clothes,
showing that the heavens are ready to grace the human soul...

Yesterday, Aurora Borealis, was observed all over the world. Here are some beautiful pictures from last night...

This beautiful array of lights with stars was taken in Atlantic Canada. It almost looks heavenly to me...


This is my favorite picture of all. This was taken last night in Iceland. I love the clouds and the snow, all being lighted up by beautiful green aurora...


These colorful lights were taken in Madison, Wisconsin. I love all the contrasting colors, purple, yellow, green, all trying to overpower each other.


This beautiful picture was taken last night near a beautiful lake in Finland. The sky seem so clear from a country which is considered one of the least polluted in the world.

This amazing shot was taken in Alaska, where the Northern Lights are most visible in North America.

20 Comments:

Blogger Colors said...

Me first! Magical pics....lemme read!!!

1:46 PM  
Blogger Colors said...

Wow!!! Those pics are simply out of the world...amazing!!!!! Did u get to see the light yourself? Such pics truly makes me believe that Heaven is on Earth. Lovely..!! Thanks for sharing :) You r the best!

1:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh no...i missed the first slot. lol...beautiful pics...i'll soon be finishing with all the adjectives what with u publishing such nice pics every other day :)
It was informative as well.

1:52 PM  
Blogger MoonStruck Tempest said...

Aaaaah!!!!! That's one thing I still haven't seen. You know the thing about the night sky is...once you see something this magical...you're hooked to it for life.
I don't seem to recall a time when I was NOT interested in looking up at night sky. And it includes freezing my rear out in the cold night, just to see the lunar eclipse and watch the moon go copper.
These are such gorgeous pictures. I wanna see 'em so badly. The colours are so gorgeous. AAAAAAAAAAh!! I am in love again...hehehe

2:08 PM  
Blogger faith said...

wowwwww!!! what a treat saturday morning hot cappuccino + these beautiful pics.. aah!! now iam feeling good that iam working today :P Thanks champ.. lovely..

7:08 PM  
Blogger Urvi said...

hey... lovely pics... :)

8:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have heard about this phenomena...but never cared to read about it...thanks for this informative post & WOW pics!!!

You Rock Buddy!!!!:)

9:36 PM  
Blogger Reema said...

ohh wow, thats is beautiful! n veryy informative for some1 as clueless as me.. i really had no idea! :S thanks for sharing.. i agree, really does seem like Gods idea of showing us His beautiful nights!

i deduce the poem in another context, but great words it used.. now i wanna see this happening live!!

5:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Few days back I read a book on Bulleh Shah. And was wondering about the word Sufi and Sufism. The next day I my eyes caught the book was Main aur Rumi. I picked it up and read. It was written by Guru Ma Anandamurti. First few chapters were talk about Sufi.

Here I also want to mentioned some lines on night by Rumi :)

Last night, the Friend
came to visit

I asked night
to keep the secret

"But look!" said night
"Behind you, and over there
the sun is rising!

How could I show
anyone anything?"

----

Don't sleep now. Let turning
night wheel through this circle

Your brow, the moon, this
lantern we sit with

Stay awake with these
lights. Don't sleep.

I hope you remember I have used one of his poem in my first story "The Diary" too :).

And ....

Breath Taking Photos !!

Nature has its own wonders to make human speechless and silent but to accept and bow the wonders......

Thanks a lot for sharing the photos. Tussi great yaar!

2:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not again the text verification :(.

I DON'T LIKE it.

2:21 AM  
Blogger Nupur said...

Like I said on orkut... love these pics! :D And also just posted some 'girly' stuff on my 360 page.... but i guess its a proper "post" after a long long time...

9:30 PM  
Blogger The Bhandari's said...

lovely pics, :)
wish I cud have seen it


ikopvf
this is the word I verfied to post comment isssssssshhh
(kidding :P)

5:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

beautiful...looks like almost like special effects...i wish i could see some thing like this... wow!

10:15 PM  
Blogger Anks said...

beautiful... very beautiful...

5:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i sumhow luv the word aurora...
dint know the exact meaning though..

nights are beautiful..no doubts on that:)..


lovely post rikkky...


-shona

2:30 PM  
Blogger fursat said...

colors - Yes, and after such a long time too :-)

Thanks!! Unfortunately, I got to know about the lights a day after but up North in BC they have camping trips to watch these lights and hopefully one day will see them.

I know I am the Best ;-)

marlee - There is always next time ;-)

Thanks for liking them.

4:58 PM  
Blogger fursat said...

cosmic dust - I have been to hooked to night sky since 10th grade :D

Again???

faith - Thanks for liking them :D

urvi - Thanks Urvi!!

mehak - Thank You jee!!

reema - Thank You Reema!!

Yea, great words and that's the beauty of poems that we all can deduce it in our own ways.

5:01 PM  
Blogger fursat said...

juneli - Lovely poem. Yea, i recently read a book of Rumi poetries. I loved them. You are welcome :-)

I was getting lots of spam and hence the verification. Sorry :-(

nupur - Thanks!! Loved your comeback.

bhandari's - Thanks!! LOL

preeti - Thanks Preeti!!

5:04 PM  
Blogger fursat said...

anks - Thanks Anks!!

sonali - As I told you, it means in Roman "Goddess of Dawn"...beautiful na :-)

Thanks Shona!!

5:06 PM  
Blogger Taran said...

pics look too good!!!!

9:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home